Subject: RE: [DNA] Finding new USEFUL SNPs?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 20:07:50 +0000

Bill:

I wish it was this simple, but generally a company signs a contact with a university lab for a set period of time. When the contract is up so is the agreement. Then comes a period of agonizing uncertainty. If you entirely tie your operation to one facility and then find that the lab's priorities have changed you are out in the cold scrambling for "alternative arrangements". If the "baby boomers" are so keen on all this stuff, why does one of our competitors after spending over $100,000 to set up and two years of advertising their product, end up with 3 to 4 orders a week? You may be misjudging the demand out there. We are fully prepared to cope with this possibility by "thinking outside the box". Lets just say that I want to get my Korean son in law busy cultivating an interest in non - traditional markets (regions).

Truly Bill, I have yet to see any clear indications that even the American market which should drive the push into uncharted waters is all that strong. Trace Genetics bowed out after two weeks. FTDNA seems to be in no rush. People should understand that without an expert geneticist running the show (and there are not that many who have the time or inclination to enter the commercial arena), a company is doomed to failure. We will soon get a sense of what the demand is - it is a huge gamble on our part, and there is no guaranteed pot of gold at the end of the rainbow - only uncertainty.

I hope I have given you some insights on a few of the problems that "get in the way" of all these supposed billions of dollars. I have confidence so will forge ahead full speed. Many of my colleagues are very very reticent to move into this market. Life is about taking calculated risks.

David F.