Subject: Re: [DNA] Immigrant clusters (WAS: Finding new USEFUL SNPs?)
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 00:35:37 +0000

You are quite right Anne. Those researching in the South are at a distinct disadvantage. My ancestors were Loyalists (including Native American) or immigrants from Britain and all of their genealogies are known to at least the 1700s and in many cases the 1500s. My wife's ancestors were all from TN, AL, NC and eventually MO. With some noteable exceptions such as the Kenemuirs from Alabama (Genheimer from Germany) we have been "brick walled" at every turn. I never take my good fortune for granted and sympathize with the circumstances you and others must face. It was this realization that, among other things, prompted me to work with a geneticist to develop a valid autosomal test to explore ethnic ancestry to hopefully provide some clear confirmation for the oral traditions that are often all a person has to go on.

David F.

You folks up North dont fully appreciate the depths of
> despair and gloom some of us Southern researchers reach when we are hunting in
> areas that had the courthouses burned (sometimes repeatedly) and which were
> settled a generation or two before land records "caught up" with the people.
> I'd
> just like to know if my folks came from Wiltshire or Yorkshire, and this may be
> my only hope of ever knowing. I'll see how it works out.
>
> Anne

This thread: