From: JAMES BUCHANAN <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] THE FLEMISH INFLUENCE IN SCOTLAND
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 18:36:10 +0000 (GMT)

A lot of the names on that list are pure conjecture.I.E. Graham , Campbell , Cameron and Brodie have various theories on their lineage.None proved.I also believe that Stewart came from Bretons , not Flemish.

John T Nichols <> wrote:You should also add the surnames of Kinnard and Kinnaird. A Flemish
knight Radulphus Rufus was given lands in Perthshire and took the name
de Kynnarde which comes from the Gaelic for "high head" describing a
characteristic of his lands overlooking the River Tyne estuary. His
descendants kept the name in various forms down to the present and still
retain title to the same lands. Some Kinnards went to Ulster and lost an
'n' to become Kinard. These Scots and Ulster families are not to be
confused with the Kinnards/Kennards from Sussex and Kent who have an
entirely different origin.

John T. Nichols
Manassas, VA

ljcrain1 wrote:

>"William the Conqueror made vast rewards to his Flemish followers. They were given many manors in England and his protégés were also, most of them, his wife’s kinsmen. They received large estates in Scotland and it was thus that a new feudal system soon took the place of the older Celtic way of life. These Flemish knights were the ancestors of many Scottish families:
>
>Balliol, Beaton, Brodie, Bruce, Cameron, Campbell, Comyn, Crawford, Douglas, Erskine, Fleming Fraser, Graham, Hamilton, Hay, Innes, Leslie, Lindsay, Lyle, Murray, Oliphant, Seton, Stewart."
>
>Cont. here:
>
>http://amg1.net/scotland/fleminfl.html

>View and search Historical Newspapers. Read about your ancestors, find
>marriage announcements and more. Learn more:
>http://www.ancestry.com/s13969/rd.ashx

last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: