From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] R* and R1* in the Cameroon, Africa
Date: Sat, 19 Mar 2005 15:46:28 -0800 (PST)

Charles:

Interesting idea. However, my understanding is that
there is no indication that R* or R1* occurs with any
real frequency among German or European populations in
general. Thus, I don't think we can characterize
these haplogroups as reflective of "European Y
chromosomes."

Any indications of R* or R1* (or even R1a*) occuring
in other parts of Africa?

Ellen Coffman

--- Charles <> wrote:
> Doug,
>
> Cameroon, Africa was once a German colony. German
> settled there and
> German troops were stationed there. Possibly the
> European Y chromosomes
> were introduced to Cameroon while it was part of the
> German Empire.
>
> Charles
>
> Doug McDonald wrote:
> > ellen Levy wrote:
> >
> >> I think your argument regarding the possible
> Central
> >> Asian origin of R1b may be supported by the fact
> that
> >> its precusors - R* & R1* - only seem to be found
> in
> >> Central Asian groups (at least so far).
> >

> > There are quite a few R*, that is, R but not R1b
> and not
> > R1a1 folks in southern Cameroon in Africa. It is
> not clear
> > what they in fact are. Probably some sort of odd
> R1.
> >
> > Doug McDonald

> Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million
> records added in the
> last 12 months. Largest online collection in the
> world. Learn more:
> http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: