Subject: Re: [DNA] Usefulness of mtDNA Testing
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 05:38:56 +0000

Bill: I have been HVR2 tested and there are no deletions - are you speaking of the coding region? With all due respect to John's opinions, I am comparing my figures to those in the published literature. This motif is specifically noted in one article since, until then, it had only been observed in Iceland. It is classic K1 and if some day we are able to pinpoint where the mutation first occurred or expanded then this is almost certainly Scotland, and evidence to date seems to point to the Northern Isles before the Vikings arrived on the scene. We all start out with hypotheses which is best supported by the evidence - this is my tentative view of things. This is one of those rare haplotypes with a very restricted distribution which gives me a fighting chance of actually determining where my female ancestor was living 2000 years ago.

David F.

> Hi David and all,
>
> Yes, I remember now about your 16519C situation. So you have six exact matches
> on mitosearch at HVR1. I don't agree that 16519C is a throwaway for us K's; you
> don't have it, you are probably not a K. By a quick count, the three on
> mitosearch without it were tested by OA which doesn't test that high. You should
> upgrade with the mtDNARefine test. John Walden's theory is that K1 is defined by
> the 498 deletion in HVR2, rather than 16320. Of course, these subclades seem to
> be rather abitrary when based on control region mutations.
>
> Bill Hurst
>

> Wish I had the time to dig up articles but suffice it to say that a
> comprenensive study of European mtDNA showed these results. Actually I don't
> really know if I have 16519. When FTDNA first did the testing they said no.
> They tested my mother's DNA and she had 16510 and one day after bringing this
> discrepancy to their attention the 16519 appeared on my webpage. Actually 16519
> is a bit of a throw away in that it is found in multiple haplogroups and seems
> to have a particular predilection to mutate at that site. However, in theory it
> should offer some genealogical information due to this propensity. Anyway, my
> point was not the specifics here, it was the point that sometimes mtDNA can
> offer valuable information that would be located in no other way (obvious I
> guess).
>
> David F.

This thread: