From: "Terry Barton" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] 37 to 43 Marker Test?
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:23:45 -0500

I am particularly interested in this subject, as I have upgraded a number of
men to 48 markers* (my upgrades went the other way, as we started with
Relative Genetics then switched to FTDNA) What I am seeing with my R1b men
is that the extra 11 markers from Sorenson are very stable, with a very few
mutations, while the extra 5 markers from FTDNA are much more likely to show
mutations.

As we have a big group of men in both Barton and Hodges who are very close
matches, I actually want to see mutations, in the hope that these will
identify branching within our genetic family. I am waiting on a number of
upgrades at FTDNA, and will then analyze and post my findings on the
usefulness to our two projects of the 5 markers unique to FTDNA and the 11
markers unique to Sorenson.

Terry

* 37 markers at FTDNA plus 43 markers at Sorenson (Relative Genetics and DNA
Heritage) equals 48 in total