From: Charles <>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:33:17 -0500

Bonnie,

I think the newbies on the List are a large "silent" majority at
present. With two separate Lists I think many more of the traditional
genealogy interested uses "newbies" would speak up. The "alphabet soup"
of all the SNPs as someone once called it is very interesting to me, so
I would subscribe to a new ANTHROPOLOGY-DNA list too. But I think at
times the very scientific discussions about SNP and patterns within
haplotypes, that sometimes overwhelm the list, and deep ancestry and
ancient population groups and movements, totally lose the traditional
genealogy interested newbie who may have been attracted here by an
article by Megan or someone else, or the various new books which mention
this list.

So who wants to volunteer for the divided lists, if we ultimately decide
to divide the list?

Ann, how many hours per day does it typically take to moderate/admin a
List like this.

Charles Kerchner

wrote:
> Nancy's argument is quite persuasive, and I'd be willing to go along with that. I've never much liked the idea of splitting the list, but if many people feel strongly about it, and especially if it would help newbies -- who are the great majority of the list, I believe -- then we should certainly consider it.

This thread: