Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA from old stamps
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 20:11:54 +0000

Dan,

Been here and done that. Trace Genetics worked with my stamp which was licked in the early 1960s. The result was negative for Y-line DNA (although no one ever said that it could not be done as per Julia's comment), and the mtdna retrieved was believed to be contaminant since it was a female's DNA. Another issue is being absolutely positive who actually licked the stamp. So in a nutshell, we got no usable results and spent several hundred dollars. Ditto the hair from the same timeframe WITH follice attached. Very frutrating. I'm keeping my last stamp and hairs until the technology gets somewhat better.

Roberta Estes

> Dan, I was waiting for the wiser people to answer you, but they are all busy
> voting.
> It is not possible to obtain Y-DNA from an old stamp as the Y-DNA dies with
> the moisture, but it is possible to obtain mtDNA, though, it can be expensive
> and is not guaranteed.
> Julia
>
> In a message dated 3/22/2005 10:26:51 A.M. Central Standard Time,
> writes:
>
> List
>
> I am trying to help a man who would like to get his Y- DNA tested to help
> break down a brick wall. He has no male relatives that are male descendants
> of the ancestor he is trying to tie to. He does have 30-40 old stamps that
> were licked by an proven descendant of same ancestor . The dating of the
> stamps and mail is abt. 1927. Could they be used for a test ?
>

> Dan Jenkins

> http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: