From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] Tracking Down A Sorensen Testee
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 23:44:37 -0500 (EST)

Adam wrote:
> 1) Given Sorensen's privacy constraints, I know we can't find out who
> this Bradford is from them. But we'd like to make an attempt to
> discreetly - dis-creeeet-ly - track him down through other channels.
> Does anyone think this is a bad idea, given the sensitive nature of
> DNA testing?

No, it seems like a *good* idea. The participants in their project
are mostly genealogists, and most genealogists want to be contacted.
I have now found six matches at SMGF for members of my DNA projects,
and I have tracked down four of them via the pedigrees they submitted
with their samples, even though persons born after 1899 were blanked
out. The key to easy finding is indeed the desire of genealogists
to be found -- lots of these folks have submitted files to publicly
available repositories, like the AF and its newer counterpart the
pedigree resource files, not to mention RootsWeb's WorldConnect.
The names and contact info are normally available for the submitters
of such files. I just looked for submitters with the right surname
and picked out the one who had all the revealed pedigree ancestors
in his file, and Bingo! Of course, it doesn't always work that
easily, but the next best thing is to find a close connection of
the participant.

> Sometime in the last few days there was some talk about a company that
> offered customers the choice of selecting from a menu of specific
> markers for a flat rate, rather than getting each panel in order.

DNA Heritage.

John Chandler

This thread: