From: <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA from old stamps...and leather gloves
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 01:57:45 -0500 (EST)

Martha, I don't think it is 'funny', I think it is a good idea, except as
devil's advocate, how much has it been contaminated by handling over time,
as well as age degradation of the original owners DNA?

Just like the possible mistaken conclusion of just whose DNA might be on
those "licked" stamps/envelopes. It might be "the wife's" or a servant,
or a wet sponge, or even the dogs! It very well may "not" be the actual
person that sent that particular mail. I am sure these type test cost a
bit more than the "standard" cheek swab, and the possibility of the
testing being done is not of the person intended, could certainly throw a
wrench into the works, so to speak!

I believe Roberta said the test she was familiar with, supposedly was of a
male, but in testing, it came up as a female. Doesn't surprise me at all.

Clyde

> I guess no one thought much of the idea, as I haven't heard
> anything back. Actually the topic may sound 'funny' to some,
> but I assure you we're really desperate to make a positive
> ID on that glove in order to get on with conserving it.

This thread: