From: Allen Blancett <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Re: Cryptic Backup Copy of Genome - "Hothead Gene"
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 00:52:16 -0500

> John Carr wrote:
>
>> That would be a very interesting study - are there higher rates of
>> mutation in the south than in the north, higher for fertilizations
>> that occurred in hot summer months compared to winter months?

My own bias is that if there actually is an effect of ambient
temperature difference, the effect would be so tiny as to be
immeasurable against the background of cosmic radiation and various
other environmental influences. If anything, I'd expect to need data
contrasting the mutating effects of hottest equatorial summer and most
frigid polar winter. Even in those extremes, core body temperature
isn't very different. I could be far off base, but for my money, the
view doesn't justify the climb.

Allen

This thread: