From: "robert mclaren" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] How significant is a 35/36 match with a person of another surname?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 13:11:44 -0500

I would say that a 35/36 match is worth while following up on, even if the
surnames are different. This could be due to a nonpaternity event. Or one
or the other of the lines changed their surname for some reason. While
options (b) and (c) are also possible, I would rate them as lower at this
time.

Bob

who
> I had never heard of before. The closest match, however, (35/36) was to a
> Wheeler, with whom the only mismatch was at DYS385a,b discussed above,
but
> I don't know what his value at this locus was since smgf doesn't give out
> this information. The next closest match (32/36) was to another Wheeler.
> The 2 Wheelers had a 32/35 match with each other and possibly a 33/36
match
> since I don't know their values at DYS385a,b, except that both mismatched
> with me at this locus. All of my Odom matches have had 11,14 at DYS385a,b
> and the most recent possible common ancestor of these Odoms must have
been
> born before 1700. It does appear that my Odoms and several Wheelers lived
> in or near Northampton Co., NC, beginning about 1650.
>
> As I understand it, the possible explanations for this 35/36 match with
> another surname are (a) a nonpaternal event, (b) a common ancestor before
> surnames were adopted, (c) random converging mutations. Does anyone care
> speculate as to which of these is most likely in this case? Thank you in
> advance for any input.
>
> O. W. Odom
> Austin, Texas

> New! Family Tree Maker 2005. Build your tree and search for your
ancestors at the same time. Share your tree with family and friends. Learn
more:
http://landing.ancestry.com/familytreemaker/2005/tour.aspx?sourceid=14599&ta
rgetid=5429

This thread: