From: <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How significant is a 35/36 match with a person of another surname?
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 14:06:55 -0500 (EST)

The same thing happened in my paternal line. My g grandmother's mother,
had two children from a first husband, and when she married the second
husband these two kids just "went" to the new husband's surname. The
descedant male line of the boy, in these first two kids still go by the
second husband's surname. His Y-DNA certainly would not match the
descendants of his half brothers, carrying the same surname. I have tried
to get him to test, but as of yet, I have not been successful.

This fellow's "real" male ancestor, (mine also, but with a female link),
supposedly made it to England, via the Spanish Armada. I don't know if he
jumped ship, was captured or what, but he never went back. Can't blame
him for that, he was likely conscripted due to the Inqusition.

As far as I can tell, neither line has yet been tested, in all the surname
projects that I can find.

Clyde

> Dale ...
>
> Your suggestion reminded me of a similar occurence in my paternal line:
> my ggggrandfather had a daughter whose husband died after 3 children
> were born. She & the children moved back to the farms in upstate NY
> where she was born, and one of the sons was adopted, while the others
> kept their father's surname.
>
> Mike ...

This thread: