From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Application of ASD to Null DYS439
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 14:39:47 -0700

If you have 6 haplotypes then you had 6 times 5 divided by 2 = 15 squared
differences to average at each marker (some could be zero)?

Then 10.1 was the sum of average squared difference over the 24 markers?
You divided by 2 times the sum of mutation rates?

That's how I would do it. I see no reason why 77 generations can not be a
"most likely" estimate for this event. The folks in the journals would use
a rate 1/3 the rate you used. Don't ask me why, exactly? That is what we
are trying to figure out. So they would estimate three times the age you
found.

You found no Null 439 haplotypes with continental pedigree?

Ken