From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Why DYS 390=25 R1b?
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:37:10 -0700

As one who has been urging Alan from the beginning not to draw conclusions
about subgroups from one marker trends in Europe, I did not like being
grouped in a letter criticizing one marker conclusions.

But "6" is no magic number in statistics or probabilities. 6 "what" is the
minimum for what?

There are just various strengths of probabilistic evidence --- from the
non-existent to the marginal to the decent to the very strong. People have
to live with such a continuum. Months ago I tried to say that the
statistical evidence one gets in genetic genealogy of families or
populations just "tilts" the odds of various scenarios being reality. It
has to be folded into all other evidence; sometimes it prevails and other
times it does not. What fraction of the time do people send a message to
this list quoting a most likely TMRCA without giving the plus or minus
interval of confidence or FTDNA's new-fangled cumulative probability
numbers? It is very frustrating we go over this same ground over and over.