From: ellen Levy <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Interesting Misc Items (Irish Travelers)
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2005 20:58:04 -0800 (PST)

Bernard:

Interesting. Perhaps the "Jenisch" gypsies of
Scandinavia have intermarried with their host
population?

There have been some intriguing DNA studies on the
Roma gypsies of Europe. This group displays
significant genetic differences from their European
host populations.

One such study available on the internet: "Origins and
Divergence of the Roma (gypsies)," D Gresham et al.,
Am J Hum Genet. 2001.

Apparently, there is a newer 2004 study, also
appearing in the Am J Hum Genet., conducted by
Australian researcher Luba Kalaydjieva. I haven't had
a chance to access this study yet.

Ellen Coffman

This thread: