From: "Ian & Mary Logan" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Saami and Berbers - An unexpected mtDNA Link
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 19:52:07 +0100

Hello to all those following this thread,

The new paper by Achilli, from the University of Padua:
..
Saami and Berbers--An Unexpected Mitochondrial DNA Link.
Achilli A, et al.
Am J Hum Genet. 2005 Mar 24;76(5) [Epub ahead of print]
..
is very interesting for its phylogenetic tree of Haplogroup U.

In his diagram he plots 39 new 'complete mtDNA sequences',
labelling the different parts of the haplogroup as U1-U9; and making
K1 as a subgroup of U8.

But he makes the main thrust of his paper a discussion of what
is labelled 'U51b' where he has studied 8 sequences. He has found
that the sequences come from 'peoples' as far apart as the Berbers,
and others, of North Africa and the Saami, of near the European Arctic circle.

However, I am surprised he has produced a 'tree', that whilst it looks
very convincing, does not take into account other sequences published
by other researchers.

I accept the paper advances knowledge about Haplogroup U,
but I do believe the paper represents a missed opportunity for
producing a unified view of Haplogroup U.

Any comments anybody ?

Ian

www.brookingsociety.org.uk/discussion/hap_U.htm
(Unfortunately, the 39 sequences used for this study haven't been released
as yet - but they will be added as soon as they become available.)

This thread: