From: "Steven C. Perkins" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNA File Sharing System
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:09:14 -0600

Ellen:

Where do you live? Have you contacted your public library or your state
library? Do you have a library card? Tell me where you are and I'll find
the nearest library that you can use.

What seems to be lost here is that any unauthorized copy is a violation of
the law. It seems to me, as a JD and a librarian, that people need to make
some effort to get hooked into the ILL system of their local library so they
can get access to the articles they want. Often times the libraries will have
online access to large databases that have these articles. Many university
libraries have Friends of the Library organizations that may give you access
to ILL services. The library organizations have made arrangements with the
Copyright Clearance Center (CCC) to arrange for compensation for copying
of the articles.

Libraries that receive the journals in hard copy can still provide a copy
of the
article by Inter Library Loan (ILL) for those journals which have online
embargoes.
You do not need to wait 6 months or longer to get a copy. Use the resources
your tax dollars have paid for.

I have to use ILL for some of the journals mentioned in our discussions here.

Regards,

Steven C. Perkins, JD MLL
Coordinator of Reference Services
U of Houston M.D. Anderson Library