From: Philip Ritter <>
Subject: Re: Reply #2: [DNA] A Broad Genealogical Question: Bonobo & Chimpanzee mtDNA
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:41:27 -0800

I'd like to belatedly add a bit here. Although I don't have Russ's
background in primatology, I did take undergraduate seminars from Washburn
and Sarich many years ago at Berkeley. The split between Common
Chimpanzees and Bonobos is thought to be perhaps only two million years
ago, compared to the split between our ancestors and the Chimpanzee's
ancestors, which is estimated at anywhere from 5 (Sarich) to 8 million
years ago. As Russ pointed out, one should not necessarily think of one
branch as the "offshoot" splitting off from another "main branch", unless
you have strong reasons to believe that a larger population retained most
of the characteristics of the ancestral species, while a smaller
(split-off) population evolved into something quite different because of
drift, founder-effect or strong selective pressure. Each branch has had
the same amount of time to evolve since the speciation event millions of
years ago. The case has been made that Bonobos are more like the common
ancestor, even though their population is smaller today, because they
remained in a habitat more like the habitat of the common ancestor (see
http://www.geocities.com/willc7/bonobos.html). Whether they might also
have retained more of the characteristics of the common human-chimp
ancestor would be quite speculative, as there is no reason to think that
the chimpanzee ancestral line did not also evolve in the 3 to 6 million
years between when they split off from our ancestors and when they split
into common chimpanzees and bonobos.

Talk about deep ancestry...

This thread: