From: Jim & Marie Wilcox <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] North Carolina Tribe Recognizes DNA for Tribal Enrollment Card
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:16:45

If you want to see Lamar Ironhorse, go to this link (below). He is the
hoopdancer in the aqua/teal colored clothing:
http://www.heathwood.org/news/happen/hh0405/na2nd04wp/

Marie

At 11:47 AM 4/7/2005 -0500, you wrote:
>News: Top Stories
>
>INDIANS: News to Whitesboro?
>
>By: AL CAMPBELL
>

>WHITESBORO - It's something that was never told. A lot of people here in
Whitesboro, including my grandfather, were full-blooded Indians.
>That statement by Lamar Ironhorse, 31, of Pembroke, N.C., who visited his
grandmother here last week, may be considered shocking to some, he said.
>Most consider this Middle Township community to be chiefly
African-American, founded around 1905 by North Carolina U.S. Rep. George
White.
>Whitesboro was considered a black settlement, but there are a lot of
American Indians who live here, said Ironhorse.
>Waccamaw Street, in the east side of the community in the vicinity of the
water tower, is the name of the tribe of some residents' forebears.
>Ironhorse said he is a proud member of that tribe. His profession is that
of a tribal facilitator.
>He said families in this community with blood lines to Waccamaws or other
Native American tribes include: Spaulding, Graham, Mitchell, Boyd, White,
Moore, and Jacobs.
>In that capacity, he traces tribal genealogy and history, and assists with
federal and state petitions for Native Americans, and works to retain
cultural retention among members, to preserve the language and traditions
of the Waccamaws.
>He has performed dances in Native American attire at the Whitesboro
Community Reunion, a Labor Day tradition for 16 years.
>Ironhorse carries a tribal enrollment card issued by the tribe, which has
autonomy over its members. He often travels between here and his North
Carolina home, visiting relatives.
>To get that card, he had to submit to rigorous physical and
anthropological tests, including DNA samples and dental exams, to prove his
heritage was indeed of an Eastern Sioux nation's tribe.

>Cont. here:
>
>http://www.capemaycountyherald.com/index.cfm?CID=news_view&Section_ID=1&New
s_ID=1522

>Search the US Census Collection. Over 140 million records added in the
>last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more:
http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: