From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Newbie: National Geographic, Relative Genetics, DNA Heritage,Family Tree DNA etc
Date: Mon, 2 May 2005 11:20:32 -0400

Hi Robert,

I think you have two options. You can let your NGS order stand, which will give you 12-marker Y-DNA results. You can later upgrade your Y-DNA results to 25 or 37 markers at FTDNA and add mitochondrial DNA tests.

Or you could cancel the NGS test and order full Y-DNA and mtDNA tests from FTDNA. By the time you get your results back there is supposed to be a way to transfer your Y-DNA results to the NGS project. The NGS project is so new that nobody has done this yet and the exact procedure hasn't been announced.

The total cost for each option should be about the same. Due to a couple of built-in delays in the first option, you might prefer the second.

I just saw Ken's reply. The advantage of using FTDNA is that they are also doing the tests for NGS. Whether there will be a way to transfer results from DNA Heritage to NGS or vice versa, I don't know.

Normally an important consideration would be which company has a project for your surname, but in your case I don't see one at either place.

Bill Hurst