Subject: Re: [DNA] mtDNA A to Z - Importance of 16223
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 17:38:00 EDT

In a message dated 05/08/05 12:56:00 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> What struck me in the investigation of haplogroup assignment from haplotype
> is how difficult it is unless you can find an exact sequence in the mtDNA
> Concordance for example. One of the huge problems in my quest to find a few
> Central Asian motifs in the lot is that 16233 is a defining ancestral sequence
> type for haplogroups A, B, C, D, E, F, G, I, L, M, N, W, and X. How can one
> possibly assign a haplogroup from a haplotype unless by chance there is a
> published sequence that exactly matches on in the database one is exploring?

This is tangential to your basic lament -- the difficulty of defining a motif
for many haplogroups -- but a mutation at 16223 demarcates superhaplogroup R,
the mother of many European haplogroups including H. Since we are really
looking at *differences* from the Cambridge Reference Sequence, 16223 appears in
all the other haplogroups before the branch point to Haplogroup R. This diagram
illustrates that. Also note that 16223 is underlined, which means that
parallel mutations have been observed in other haplogroups.

http://www.stats.gla.ac.uk/~vincent/images/skeleton07-08-02.jpg

http://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/DNA/GENEALOGY-DNA.html

This thread: