From: "Ken Nordtvedt" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] How to Sort Data
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:12:12 -0600

Glen, I also tried to make a haplogroup I out of it, but was never
comfortable with the scenarios I came up with.

R1b's modal values are known for all 45 or so markers available from FTDNA +
Relative Genetics + DNA Heritage, etc. So with 37 markers you could very
well see some breaking of the ranks if this guy is not a strange R1b.

But also consider this. There are thousands and thousands of haplotypes out
there which have been measured and reported to their owners. Everybody with
modal or near modal or modestly far from modal haplotypes look at them, try
to match them with cousins, seek to learn the haplogroup and usually get
reasonable assignments. We don't hear much from such folks. But there have
to be a few haplotypes out there on the far fringes of unliklihood. That's
how the statistical process works, and if the unlikely did not show up now
and then that would be funny and demand explanation.

We hear about the McDonald's burger flipper who got dealt a royal flush in
Vegas last weekend. But the many thousands of more or less ordinary poker
hands dealt out to others that weekend went unmentioned.

Enough of the 392 = 11 R1b haplotypes (which could mean most all that are
measured) need to be collected to see if any pattern is present among them.

Ken