From: (John Chandler)
Subject: Re: [DNA] No easily found R1b sub-clades - WHY?
Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 20:36:30 -0400 (EDT)

Jon wrote:
> Let me re-phrase my original statement:
>
> It is thought by many researchers that the Gavetttian (also known as
> Prigordian) culture, generally believed to be associated with Y-DNA Hg
> I, was a later arrival into Europe.

You still have to recognize that there is absolutely no evidence tying
the Gravettian culture to any specific haplogroup(s) (and the same goes
for Aurignacian and Solutrean and all the rest). This is at best a
plausible speculation. Moreover, the means of transmission (cultural
contact vs population replacement) is debatable. The relative times
of arrival of the cultures are therefore of dubious relevance at best.

> suggested: splinter groups following game herds become isolated, and
> reinforcing their own characteristic mutational differences in a small area.

The concept of reinforcement belongs to diploid heritage and
evolution. It does not occur in Y DNA. Perhaps you are looking for a
mechanism which simply kills off most of the splinter groups most of
the time while allowing a few to be enormously successful. I can
readily envision a mechanism that kills people off, but where is the
path to success? Is it purely random? Or do you get ahead by
building a better atlatl?

John Chandler

This thread: