From: Thomas Krahn <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] My DYS464 result-gram from biotix
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 02:59:09 +0200

wrote:

> Thomas, do you think that sending a pherogram for each marker (say
37) or set of SNPs (say 7) done in separate batches would be cost
effective once the orders exceeded a certain point? Every company would
be delighted to give the customers everything they requested - but what
is in your view reasonable here?

> David F.

David:

Sending out electropherograms for 30 single-allele markers certainly
doesn't make sense, because all the peaks look the same. On the other
hand pherograms from more complicated patterns like DYS464 or our
DYS385(K) test may explain more than thousand words. Customers that
order those complex tests are usually more experienced in DNA Genealogy
than first time customers that are ordering a 12 STR test from FTDNA,
DNAH or RG. So at least some of them are very glad, if they get some
peaks on request.

David, I think that us two small companies can be glad to be able to
provide our customers with such an extended service, which is much more
complicated for the larger companies because of logistic issues. We are
sitting right in the lab and we keep the contact to our customers
directly. We cannot compete with the prices of a lab that runs about
10000 samples per year, but we can provide a customer service that is
very individual. So take your chance!

Thomas

This thread: