From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Non-paternity
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 12:39:37 -0600

> My comment was half tongue-in-cheek -- if you have a paper trail with the
> MRCA, you don't need many participants. On the other hand, projects like
> WEBB or SMITH, where the family "two lines down" on the Census was often
> assumed to be related, are finding that in fact those families are not
> necessarily related. Which means the project grows as you work back to a

I just dealt with a similar case fairly recently. One particular Todd
line, that of immigrant ancestor John Todd of Rowley, is the source of
almost all of the Todd surnames in eastern Massachusetts. However,
somebody asked me about Thelma Todd (1930s movie actress) of Lawrence,
Massachusetts. A little primary source research showed that she appears to
have been the daughter of an Irish immigrant Todd (the Rowley line is
English). Thus, she is almost certainly NOT related to any other
Massachusetts Todds. Y-chromosome testing has shown no measurable
relationship between the John Todd of Rowley line (West Riding of Yorkshire)
and any other Todd line so far tested. (The Christopher Todd of
Connecticut line has yet to be tested.)

Glen

This thread: