From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Middle Eastern ancestral markers on new Euro 1.0 test
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 12:43:26 -0400

Ellen:

Thank you for your analysis and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
Hopefully a few more who have been DNAPrint 2.5 tested will do the Euro
1.0 test add-on/upgrade to their 2.5 test and we can get more data on
the break down of the Indo-European component of their results. There
are a few other Euro 1.0 tests reported in my Log if anyone wants to
read them: http://www.dnaprintlog.org/

This is all very interesting.

http://www.kerchner.com/dnaprint-euro1.0.htm

Charles Kerchner
http://www.kerchner.com/dna-info.htm

ellen Levy wrote:
> Charles:
> The "Middle Eastern" markers (whatever those are
> defined as) were probably spread through Europe, as
> you postulate, by the Romans. However, I think you
> can reach much further back in time as well. It
> appears that significant amounts of Middle Eastern and
> Mediterranean markers began their spread into northern
> Europe as far back as the Neolithic. And I think we
> can look further back than the Neolithic as well.
>
> AncestrybyDNA supposedly finds "affiliation" between
> Native Americans and Ashkenazi. This was discussed at
> length on the list a few months back. In that debate,
> Ann indicated that such "affiliation" was believed to
> be very ancient indeed, stretching back tens of
> thousands of years, before Native Americans even
> migrated to the New World. There is no reason to
> think that your "Middle Eastern" ancestry also not
> tens of thousands of years old.
>
> There doesn't seem to be Y chromosome or MtDNA
> evidence of gene flow from Central Asia into the
> Middle East, other than as I've mentioned, haplogroup
> R1a1, though this doesn't mean that such gene flow
> couldn't have occured 25,000 years ago (and now be
> reflected in the autosomal results).
>
> The MIddle East, however, is a much more difficult
> area to reach than Europe. The Black and Caspian Seas
> block the way. The Caucasus mountains serve as a
> further barrier. To get there, you must cross the
> Iranian plateau or come across the Arabian Sea.
> Again, not a lot of genetic support for that kind of
> gene flow.
>
> Ellen Coffman

This thread: