Subject: Re: [DNA] Genographic Project transfers to Surname Project - status report
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:56:59 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/2005 7:35:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
writes:

Anyone who has found a remedy to getting people to respond more
quickly, please respond with your testimony

What may have been missed in my earlier post is that my initial email to
"cold calls" did NOT ask them for anything, including participation in the
surname study. It invited them to visit our website, sign up to receive our email
Newsletter, and to email me with any questions. I also invited them to pass
the invitation on to other WEBBs and WEBB researchers.

I developed this strategy when my first round of emails went answered. Now
at least many of the folks sign up for the newsletter right way, some are
passing it on, and some are joining the project after 2-3 months of reading our
Newsletter.

I suggest that the approach could be modified for NGS transfers. The point
is to tell them what you and the Project can do for them. You could tell
them "if you will supply a direct lineage from you ancestor to yourself, some of
our researchers may be able to help you, even if you have never done any
genealogy." If you have a scholarship program, tell them about that. Show what
the Surname Project can do for them. Don't ask them for their lineag and an
upgrade up front.

Anne

This thread: