Subject: Re: [DNA] Some haplogroup confusion
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 08:20:04 EDT

In a message dated 5/31/05 8:15:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
writes:

> No exact matches and no 1 or 2 step mutations. One 3 step mutation -
> haplogroup I in England. (Not surprising; the male line is from
> Yorkshire.) Five 4 step mutations; G in England, I in England, I in
> Germany, I unknown origin, and J2 in Indonesia. No R1b at all.

First off, this means that you have a rare haplotype, when even allowing
4-step mutations on 12 markers gives you just five possibilities. My "prediction"
would be that Whit Athey's haplogroup predictor would give you pretty low
scores on several haplogroups. Have you tried that?

https://home.comcast.net/~whitathey/predictorinstr.htm

It might be instructive to see which markers have the rarest values, at
http://ybase.org/statistics.asp. Then plug those markers into Whit's predictor
last, so you can see how the prediction changes as you add more information. You
can also plug your results into the Y Chromosome Reference Database at
http://yhrd.org, all of them at once, or one at a time.

Ann Turner

This thread: