From: (Raymond Whritenour)
Subject: [DNA] RE: Middle Eastern ancestral markers on new Euro 1.0 test
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 14:17:43 -0400

Andrew wrote:

"What written history already tells us is that for many centuries Rome
was overflooded with people from the whole Mediterranean. I think we
could expect a modern Roman to be an average Mediterranean."

Andrew:

I'm not really asking for speculation. I would like to know what DNA
findings (if any exist) tells us about the survival of ancient Roman
haplogroups in modern Italian populations. Is the situation any
different in this case than it is with that of the Etruscans and
Basques? The same question can be asked about ancient Greeks versus
modern Greeks; or, ancient Egyptians versus modern Copts; or, any number
of ethnic groups. Do ancient haplogroups die out, as a rule, or do they
persist to modern times? No conjecture, please! We can all make our
best guesses.

Ray Whritenour

This thread: