From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] What to test for?
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 15:27:53 -0600

> I did my mtDNA, which is why I didn't test my mother. It
> should all be the same. And since I match my father on
> all 37 markers, I have no reason to think I might be adopted!

Both of my parents have long since made the Faring. There's a strong male
line family 'look' which I, my brother, and my nephew all have and both our
father (and his brother, also gone on) and our grandfather had, so there is
little uncertainty there. I'm getting my mtDNA tested (results due in a
couple of weeks), but since both great-great-grandparents on the maternal
line were known to be Irish immigrants (g-g-grandmother Margaret Green was
from Cashel, Co. Tipperary, Ireland), that should be only mildly
interesting. I might consider asking my sister-in-law about getting
either herself or Nat (nephew) tested, or both. Nat's Y-DNA should be the
same as mine and my brother's and since he shares the family 'look' (he
looks so much like a 12 year old version of his great-grandfather Todd - my
grandfather - that it's almost scary), so that's of very little interest
except for the sake of completeness (and any possible mutations), but his
mtDNA would be Christie's, which would be totally different from any of the
other males in the family. That could be interesting, since our record of
Christie's maternal line hits a brick wall only five generations back, with
a Clarissa Inman of Greenville, SC.

Glen

This thread: