From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] What to test for?
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 06:47:30 -0700 (PDT)

I don't think you are far off from what I am doing. This is clearly not in the "test till you drop" category, since there is a goal outside of just trying tests. If you will note my previous posts, I have advocated testing all available markers to try to uncover tag markers.

I want to make it clear that I never said there was something wrong with trying all of the tests. I was coming out against those who seem compelled to recruit newbies into the practice, without revealing the very limited utility of certain tests.

Bob Stafford

wrote:

Personally, I have done the FTDNA 37 and their mtDNA, plus three more
markers from Biotix, (thanks to Thomas K's generous start up offer), (the
hi-low DYS385 a&b was interesting in I1c). And have had a brother, 1st
cousin, and forth cousin tested, looking for a particular mutation from
the family haplotype. (A third cousin test is in progress at the moment,
hopefully that will settle it without resorting to the second cousin
list). At least there are more of them and easier to find, if it becomes
necessary.

This thread: