From: Robert Stafford <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Some haplogroup confusion
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 07:45:53 -0700 (PDT)

I was wondering also about their reporting to customers. When would they report the haplogroup as uncertain. I can think of two ways: (1) maximum genetic distance and/or (2) close matches to other haplotypes. In the latter case, it seems they would check at least to a distance 1 greater than the first match. With the other possible matches at 4, it seems too uncertain to report to the customer.

If they were testing, they would probably test I first since it is much more likely in their customer population.

Bob Stafford

wrote:
Matches are with SNP-tested samples. If you order a SNP test, FTDNA would
begin with the test for the highest ranking haplogroup, then continue testing
other SNPs if necessary. Apparently even a weak prediction is cost-effective.

Ann Turner