From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] RE: Middle Eastern ancestral markers on new Euro 1.0 test
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 18:50:47 +0200

Ray wrote:

> The cosmopolitan nature of ancient Rome tells us NOTHING about the
correspondence between the DNA of ancient Romans and modern Italians.

Rome was more than just cosmopolitan. We know where its residents came from
to some extent. I simply offer this information in the hope that it might
help someone trying to find a proxy for ancient DNA, because ancient DNA -
which is what you really want to know about - is rather thin on the ground.

However I understand that you want to avoid the normal technique of using
modern populations + historical information (plus conjecture) in order to
reconstruct what ancient populations were like genetically. For one thing,
such model building can not give any indication of genetic drift, right? I
just figured it was worth drawing attention to the fact that Rome has more
than average written history resources available. Sorry.

> You're answering questions that were NEVER asked!

You are absolutely correct about that, though I do not understand the
SHOUTING, or the need to form your responses to me as personal accusations.
I also never claimed to be giving a direct answer.

Good luck finding some ancient Roman DNA.

Best Regards
Andrew

This thread: