From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] DNA & XML
Date: Thu, 2 Jun 2005 13:01:39 -0600

I doubt that there's even 'an XML standard' for traditional genealogical
information yet. The de facto standard for transport of genealogical
information seems to be the Mormon Church's GEDCOM (which is actually quite
good, considering).

Given its popularity, I suspect that the best approach would be to get some
DNA tags defined for the next version of GEDCOM, and then separately to work
on mapping the GEDCOM tags into an XML equivalent. That would provide
maximum utility.

Glen

> Does anybody know?
>
> >I find the discussion of storing DNA information in
> genealogical records
> >quite
> >interesting. I agree with those that say it might not be
> perfect at the
> >moment,
> >however, it seems reasonable for people to have some
> structured standard
> >form to
> >store this information in so that it will be preserved for
> the future. Is
> >this
> >re-inventing the wheel? Is there already an XML standard
> for encoding DNA

This thread: