From: Charles <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Chromosomes join forces
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2005 15:48:15 -0400

Bonnie,

Thanks for posting that. It is very interesting.

This type process could be the "unknown mechanism" or "Kerchner effect"
I have observed in my surname studies which is associated with the Y
chromosome, that is what I am hypothesizing about in my study
project/log suggesting there are male line specific YSTR average
mutation rates. http://www.kerchner.com/announcement-hypothesis.htm
There may not be a specific gene on the Y chromosome causing male line
specific mutation rates, but instead some sort of switching mechanism
whereby the Y chromosome is interacting with other genes in the
autosomes which are involved in the YSTR copying process. We know the Y
chromosome acts line a switch to turn on and off other genes on other
chromosomes to make the offspring a male. There could be other
previously unknown interactions too. This new discovery posted below by
Bonnie is very, very interesting and is pointing to many other new
possibilities as to how the Y chromosome could be affecting males and
male lines. The molecular biologists and geneticists will have lots of
interesting things to pursue with all the new discoveries.

Charles Kerchner

Bonnie Schrack wrote:
> This article was just published in Nature:
>
> Chromosomes join forces (Editor's summary)
>
> The common assumption that chromosomes act independently of one another may be due for revision. For the first time, a genetic element on one chromosome is shown to direct gene activity on another chromosome. The finding comes from a study of differentiation of naïve helper T cells into TH1 cells that activate interferon- as part of the cell-mediated immune system and TH2 cells that turn on interleukin-4 and other cytokines in the antibody-mediated immune system. The interleukin cytokines made by TH2 are on chromosome 11, and the interferon- gene is on chromosome 10. A fluorescence technique confirms that the consorting chromosomes link their DNA. These results add to growing evidence that chromatin location within the nucleus is an important constraint on gene activity.
>
> News and Views: (simplified version)
> Gene regulation: Kissing chromosomes
> A three-dimensional examination of gene regulation suggests that portions from different chromosomes 'communicate' with each other, and bring related genes together in the nucleus to coordinate their expression.
> Dimitris Kioussis
> doi: 10.1038/435579a
>
> Article:
> Interchromosomal associations between alternatively expressed loci
>
> Charalampos G. Spilianakis, Maria D. Lalioti, Terrence Town, Gap Ryol Lee and Richard A. Flavell
>
> doi: 10.1038/nature03574
> Abstract: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7042/abs/nature03574.html

> Perhaps some of the chromosomes near the Y could affect the expression of its genes - or vice versa? The X would be nearby, wouldn't it? And maybe others. If so, this could relate to David Faux's questions on the relationship between autosomal and Y-chromosome genes that affect alcoholism.
>
> Bonnie Schrack

This thread: