From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] Middle Eastern ancestral markers on new Euro 1.0 test
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 08:01:25 +0200

Andrew:
> In any
> case, I understand your real and only point here is that majority
haplotypes
> in large populations take a longer time to die out than minority groups in
> small populations,

John:
No, you are just wilfully MISunderstanding my main point. [...] It would
all be simpler if we substituted the phrase "never in a million years". I
will do so now: a majority haplotype in a large population will never in a
million years die out due to random fluctuations.

Andrew:
I'll leave aside all the side points and try another approach. You do not
define large/small. So how small does the population have to be, to mean
that we get a 50% chance that a Y DNA type which is in 50% of the males will
become extinct at random within say 5000 years? If you can answer in terms
of shrinking, stable and growing populations that would also be good.

Best Regards
Andrew

This thread: