From: "Dra. Ana Oquendo Pabón, MD"<>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Lactose intolerance and Ancestry
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2005 03:13:53 -0400

Let's see, when did I do my last CME on Osteoporosis? Last month I think
it was.

Factors that increase the likelihood of developing osteoporosis:

* Personal history of fracture after age 50
* Current low bone mass
* History of fracture in a 1° relative
* Being female
* Being thin and/or having a small frame
* Advanced age
* A family history of osteoporosis
* Estrogen deficiency as a result of menopause, especially early or
surgically induced
* Abnormal absence of menstrual periods (amenorrhea)
* Anorexia nervosa
* LOW LIFETIME INTAKE OF CALCIUM
* Vitamin D deficiency
* Use of certain medications, such as corticosteroids and
anticonvulsants
* Presence of certain chronic medical conditions
* Low testosterone levels in men
* An inactive lifestyle
* Current cigarette smoking
* Excessive use of alcohol
* Being Caucasian or Asian, although African Americans and Hispanic
Americans are at significant risk as well

Five percent of non-Hispanic black women over age 50 are estimated to
have osteoporosis; an estimated additional 35 percent have low bone mass
that puts them at risk of developing osteoporosis.

Ten percent of Hispanic women aged 50 and older are estimated to have
osteoporosis, and 49 percent are estimated to have low bone mass.

Twenty percent of non-Hispanic white and Asian women aged 50 and older
are estimated to have osteoporosis, and 52 percent are estimated to have
low bone mass.

Lactose Intolerance does not simply refer to the fact that you cannot
drink just milk.

Lactose Intolerance may not be a direct cause of osteoporosis but
avoidance of ALL things dairy which Blacks, Hispanics and Asians with
this condition tend to do from childhood is certainly a large
contributor to a low lifetime intake of calcium and chronic hypocalcemia.

I used to be five feet tall. I am now 4'11" . Puhleese! Ok. Ladies,
take your Calcium Citrate.

Got milk?? Give it to the cat.

Regards,
Ana

Andrew and Inge wrote:

>Dear Ana
>
>Actually the latest results from big studies could not find any significant
>effect of milk drinking on osteoporosis. It seems that even lactose tolerant
>people are not getting much of the calcium from cow's milk once they reach
>adulthood. So the form of the calcium is important to whether it is absorbed
>or not. There should still be a lot about this study on the web as it made
>it into the normal press.
>
>Regards
>Andrew

This thread: