From: Gary Felix <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] Genographic participants
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 16:23:16 -0700 (PDT)

John, I have been in correspondence with Max as well. I have requested that upon doing a surname search all the geographical projects be included as an option.

Gary
Mexico DNA Project Admin.

John Chandler <> wrote:
All,

I asked Max about the procedures in place for adding Genographic Project
folks into surname projects and/or geographic projects. It's not quite
automatic, since the participant himself has some say in the matter.
Here is how Max described it:

When they opt to join Family Tree DNA, the system looks at their
surname and performs a surname search. As a result, they have
displayed the different options existing for their surname, and the
person gets to see each description in order to select one of
them. Once they select it, they join the Group and the
Administrator of the Group is automatically notified.

In particular, note that the admin is *not* asked for permission in
advance, but is notified immediately upon the addition of a new
member. Also, if there is a variant spelling that isn't mentioned
in the list for your project, the procedure will not catch anybody
with that spelling.

John Chandler

last 12 months. Largest online collection in the world. Learn more: http://www.ancestry.com/s13965/rd.ashx

This thread: