Subject: OMIM [was Re: [DNA] Lactose Intolerance & Goat Milk--END OF THREAD]
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 12:02:57 EDT

writes:

> I would hope to see some solid DNA research on which gene carries the
> tendency for osteoporosis. If anyone has some information on which
> institution is working on osteoporosis projects, please post this to the
> board.

For this, and all questions about the genetics of inherited traits and
disorders, a very good resource is OMIM (Online Mendelian Inheritance in Man).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=OMIM

Searching for osteoporosis gives an entry for "Osteoporosis, Involutional"
[relating to advancing age], which shows links to multiple loci on different
chromsosomes:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/dispomim.cgi?id=166710

You can also search for lactose.

Ann Turner