From: "Andrew and Inge" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b and DYS437
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 22:14:07 +0200

Hi David

It is perhaps not relevent, but the Gaulish and Belgian Celts you mention as
invading Britain in Roman times were not the first Celts to enter Britain.
There seem to have been many waves, of people, including several of Celts,
loosely defined. For example Gaelic is also a Celtic language which
eventually became dominant in Ireland and Scotland, but it does not seem to
have been the language of the immigrants in Roman times. It is very unclear
now just how many distinct Celtic languages and dialects there were, and how
they all sat in relation to each other.

Secondly you suggest that Ireland was a refuge from continental immigrants
in the Roman imperial times. As already mentioned, it had of course had
earlier waves, such as presumably the Gaels. But on the other hand all
evidence suggests that Gaelic speakers were just one component of the Irish
nation in Roman times - with both earlier and later peoples and languages
sharing the island. Concerning later peoples, there do seem to have been
significant inroads made by Gauls (whose name seems to appear in many place
names and tribal names) and Belgae, who may have been remembered as the Fir
Bolg - presumably also related to the terrible new weapons technology of Cu
Chullain which he had to go to Scotland to learn how to use (Fir = men =
viri in Latin, wari in Old Germanic).

The reason this does not invalidate your main point is that languages and
ethnic names tend to move with small clans of powerful people, and not
majorities. The Boii, Romans, Alemanni etc were pushing Celtic speaking
tribes steadily west, but the people or "tribes" who moved would rarely have
been the majority - and this presumably also goes for the earlier pushes
west which put Celtic languages in western Europe in the first place.
Consider how the name of the Boii (whose original language is uncertain)
bacame both the Germanic "Bavarian" (Bayu-wari, modern German Bayern) and
the Slavic Bohemians; while the name of the North-Eastern European Germanic
Vandals came to refer to southern Spain (al-Andalus, Andalucia), and in to
some extent even to its historic Arabic speakers.

Best Regards
Andrew