From: Robert Tarín <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] R1b and DYS437
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2005 20:49:27 -0500

To the List:

I am glad to see my study producing some discussion. When I started my study
of allele frequencies of Iberian and non-Iberian haplotypes it was simply to
see if there were any significant differences that could be identified. As
with the WAMH, marker frequencies were counted individually and were not
dependent upon any value combinations of other markers. I understand that
things can change when multiple markers are used. I also understand that
maybe the concept of differences between Iberian and non-Iberian is flawed,
as R1b is such a large group, and maybe what I have done is "pick and
choose" my dataset thereby creating a bias right at the onset. My reasoning
however was that since R1b was concentrated in Iberia during the LGM and
afterwards spreading outside of Iberia, there may be identifiable
differences in present day populations. As to sample size, this is a problem
for many of the markers studied and is something I hope to improve upon as
my database sources increase. I also wish that many of those in the
databases had been tested on more markers and that I had more specifics
about geographic origins and could sort my data into north, south, east, and
west. Given the data at hand, I agree that it is too early to come to any
firm conclusions but it is a start. In combination with other studies maybe
this will give us some clues as to how we can best understand R1b. In my
next study I may indeed try some correlations between markers as well.

Robert Tarín