From: John Carr <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] perfect 25 marker match with no mutations--but different surnames
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 18:27:56 -0700

David, your response to Diane formed a question in my mind. Given that
12 marker results are not very relevant for genealogy since the
probability of a match is within the general population is high with
near modal haplotypes. But, what struck me about one recent
participant was that nearly all his near matches were with a single
surname group other than his own. [side note, so far no Carr's match
each other even close, but normally have near matches with many other
surnames, though not the same ones]

Would you consider such an occurrence to indicate a higher than normal
probability that this individual is related to that other surname
group?

John Carr

This thread: