From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] It's official -- I'm weird
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 21:24:28 -0600

> We were discussing a haplotype from this same cluster that
> Glen seems to be in, around May 23rd. Explaining why I'm
> quite sure this doesn't belong to the J haplogroup, I wrote:
>
> > That's an intriguing haplotype, all right. I would guess
> > that there isn't much chance of it being J2 or J1.
> >
> > For one thing, the 8 10 10 12 at 459a,b, 455, and 454,
> > taken together, seem way too far from the 9,9 or 8,9 and
> > the nearly universal 11 11 found in J2 and J1. Especially
> > the 10 at 459b. Those 11s do rarely mutate to a 10 or a 12.
> > But I've never seen more than one of them ot be 11, in J.
> >
> > 13 at DYS393 is of course, very rare in the J haplogroup.
> >
> There are probably more reasons I could come up with to
> explain why it isn't J2 or J1. We nearly always have 9 at
> 438 in J2, while J1 has 10, in common with many other
> haplogroups. Nothing about Glen's haplotype looks like J1,
> which is very rare in England.
>
> I have never seen a 19,19 at YCAII in the J haplogroup. The
> mode in J2 is 19,22 and J2e has 19,20. This is not a marker
> that fluctuates lightly.
>
> And 14 at DYS393 would be even more rare than the 13 mentioned above.
>
> Hope this helps to clarify some of the reasons why we believe
> this group is I and not J. Ken could no doubt say more.
>
> Bonnie Schrack

Thanks, Bonnie. That was an enlightening explanation, as well.

I had come to exactly the same conclusion, for an entirely different set of
(mostly non-genetic) reasons. I just felt that for those reasons (some of
which I mentioned earlier, and also that Todd is an Old Norse/Old English
name) a J simply wasn't a reasonable possibility.

Glen

This thread: