From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] DNAPrint strikes again!
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 14:12:37 +0000

Ray:

Is there any indication that Kittles used the DNAPrint test? If so what did he do about the "East Asian problem"? Were EA and NA simply added together? There would be a big difference in the interpretation of the results if the EA was higher than the NA such that the average NA was 3% or below. If the average was 6%, and the sample size 100, without knowing the standard deviation and the like, one would have to assume that there were an awful lot of people who had zero NA readings - particularly if some subset was on the high side say 20%.

David F.

> This study included 100 people, whose average NA percentage was 6%,
> according to the article. Can someone tell me if this average result
> has a narrower margin of error than any individual result; and, if so,
> what the margin of error for this average is? Does this average, of 100
> participants from this community, indicate true NA ancestry for them?
>
> Ray Whritenour
>
> ****************************
>
> Freedmen's descendants discover past
>
> By Judy Gibbs Robinson
> The Oklahoman
> 6-6-05
>
> When a cotton swab scraped a few cells from the inside of Rhonda
> Grayson's cheek last June, she was pretty sure what she would find.
>
> Like most of those at the conference sponsored by the Descendants of
> Freedmen of the Five Civilized tribes, Grayson wanted ironclad proof she
> is part American Indian. She got it.
>
> "It showed I had 9 percent Native American blood," said Grayson, a black
> woman who has traced her lineage to a great-grandmother on the Chickasaw
> freedmen rolls. "I was not surprised ... but I didn't know what
> percentage I would have."
>
> Others were surprised by the findings, including Rick Kittles, the Ohio
> State University geneticist whose assistant swabbed about 100 cheeks
> that day in Norman. Kittles returns Saturday to report on his findings
> at the association's third annual conference at the University of
> Oklahoma. The conference starts at 9 a.m. in Dale Hall.
>
> Intrigued by the plight of Oklahoma's black Indians, Kittles came to
> Oklahoma to test his hypothesis that descendants of Oklahoma Freedmen
> today would be about 20 percent American Indian. The figure was 6
> percent.
>
> "It was shocking to see it was so low," Kittles said in a telephone
> interview from his office. His findings came as a blow to some study
> participants who trace their ancestry to tribal members and expected a
> stronger genetic stamp.
<snipped>

This thread: