From: (David Faux)
Subject: Re: [DNA] R1b in Norway - Role of British Slaves
Date: Tue, 07 Jun 2005 19:47:30 +0000

Shane:

The evidence from Iceland and Faroe suggests strongly that about 25% of the male population were Celtic - they moved via ship - why not the same numbers to Norway. My guess is that the Celtic slaves were for both the domestic and foreign markets - whatever served their purposes best. The slaves noted in various historical sources pertaining to Norway were less likely to be locals (would only lead to more feuding) but more probably foreigners. It really is not a long distance in a Viking longship from Ireland to Norway via Shetland (a known stop over point).

David F.

> David,
>

> I'm usually on board with you on most of your ideas, but I can't buy this one.
> As a matter of logistics, I
> just don't see the typical Viking ship accommodating enough human cargo to move
> the numbers of
> people you are talking about. Not even over several hundred years. Besides, if
> the slaves were meant
> for trade in Constantinople, why would their descendents be in Norway?
>
> R1b isnt restricted to just the Germanic and Atlantic varieties in Norway.
> My own 24/10/30 has
> significant representation in Norway. Recently, on this site I mentioned a
> stronghold of this haplotype
> in the Rhineland region. I could easily envision these people making the short
> trip over to Scandinavia
> sometime in the Neolithic. That seems to make more sense to me than a mass
> slavery concept. Until
> the unification of Norway under one king, there was substantial clan fighting.
> The slave caste within
> Norway would have been made up mostly of those on the losing side.
>
> Shane

This thread: