From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:17:48 -0400

Julia wrote:

> It appears that if joining the Y-DNA group and a SNP test has, already,
> been
> done, the cost is minimal, however, since a SNP is required and if one
> hasn't been done, that test must be ordered and paid for before joining
> the
> Genographic Project.

From my GAP page, I tried signing in as several of our project members. For
those in our group A - no worse than a 35/37 match with my SNP test - there
is NO SNP test required to transfer Y-DNA results to the Genographic
project.

However, when I logged in as a member of other groups, with no SNP-tested
members, it says for a few members that a SNP test is required first. But
for most, it took them directly to the Consent form. In our Group 4 with 5
members, 2 require a SNP test; 3 don't need one. They are a 24/25 match! I
don't understand that. All are closer to the WAMH on Whit's calculator than
I am. In other words, extra cost and a delay before the results could be
transferred. Still, the total cost of the SNP test and the transfer fee is
less than joining directly through NGS. I'm not too worried about those
three who who have to have a SNP test; they are not active in our Project
website, etc. They probably wouldn't join anyway. So I'm not going to bug
FTDNA about this unless somebody complains.

No problem with mtDNA transfers; those are already SNP-tested.

Bill Hurst

This thread: