From: "William Hurst" <>
Subject: Re: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 17:26:59 -0400

Ian wrote:

> Julia, I can't see any blurb about the SNP requirement and it doesn't make
> sense to me as they are estimating SNPs for most of the genographic cases
> so
> why would they force us to test? I would assume they are using the same
> algorithm for snp-estimating in the genographic and ftdna normal test too.
>
> Where did you read this?

Ian, here is part of the text under the Genographic Project tab for a few of
our members:

"Already being a Family Tree DNA customer, you would be given the
opportunity to join the Genographic Project without having to order a kit
and perform a new test. Being that the Genographic Project is highly based
on a firm Haplogroup assignment for the purposes of tracking the deep
ancestral origins, your suggested Haplogroup should have a minimum level of
certainty to allow us to upload your data to that Project. While your
results suggest a specific Haplogroup, it does not meet the minimum
requirements of certainty and therefore we cannot have your data uploaded to
the Genographic Project."

"If you wish to order a test to confirm your Haplogroup, please click here
to verify that a SNP test can be run. After your Haplogroup is confirmed we
will be able to upload your record."

Bill Hurst

This thread: