From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:28:56 -0600

> Julia, I can't see any blurb about the SNP requirement and it
> doesn't make sense to me as they are estimating SNPs for most
> of the genographic cases so why would they force us to test?
> I would assume they are using the same algorithm for
> snp-estimating in the genographic and ftdna normal test too.
>
> Where did you read this?

I got the same result. I found it on the first page in as I drilled down
on the Genographic Project tab. In the second paragraph, it says; "Already
being a Family Tree DNA customer, you would be given the opportunity to join
the Genographic Project without having to order a kit and perform a new
test. Being that the Genographic Project is highly based on a firm
Haplogroup assignment for the purposes of tracking the deep ancestral
origins, your suggested Haplogroup should have a minimum level of certainty
to allow us to upload your data to that Project. While your results suggest
a specific Haplogroup, it does not meet the minimum requirements of
certainty and therefore we cannot have your data uploaded to the Genographic
Project."

This may be a requirement of the Genographic Project rather than of FTDNA.
Witness the second sentence in the above quote.

Since I already have an SNP test on order, I'm simply going to wait for it.

Glen

This thread: