From: "Glen Todd" <>
Subject: RE: [DNA] FTDNA upgrade to GenoProject
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 15:55:29 -0600

> If I follow this thread correctly, it costs $15 to upload
> your 12 marker Y
> results, and $15 to upload your MtDNA, for a total of $30.
>
> Besides doing them a favor, by giving them more data, is
> there anything in
> this project that can tell us anything about our ancestry?

Mmmm... I agree on this one. While I realise that FTDNA is in business
to make money, this is a little bit blatant. It does NOT as far as I can
see tell us anything additional, and the cost to either FTDNA or the
Genographic Project of actually doing the data transfer is negligible (since
it involves nothing more than sending electronic records). The
Genographic Project is the primary beneficiary, since they're getting
bunches of data without having to run the associated lab tests, and FTDNA
gets good PR out of it, so it seems to me more appropriate that this should
be a freebie on the lines of the Ysearch database.

Glen

This thread: